Duck and Foie Gras Pie
Stuffing (To be prepared 12 hours in advance) :
- 150 g chopped shallots
- 120 g of port
- 150 g duck legs chopped in a fine grid
- 60 g duck gizzards confit, finely diced
- 100 g duck breast cut into small cubes
- 100 g chicken liver cut into brunoise
- 150 g pan-roasted and chopped button mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 60 g butter
- Salt and black pepper
Foie gras :
- 2 slabs of raw duck foie gras, 160 g each
- 1 pre-slice smoked Duck Breast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 puff pastry discs of 20 cm
- 2 puff pastry discs of 24 cm
- 2 egg yolks
- The filling: Melt the shallots with the butter, add the port wine and reduce to four fifths. Leave to cool. In a salad bowl, mix the chopped duck meat, the brunoise of gizzards and chicken livers, then the cubes of duck breast with the shallots preserved in the port and the chopped mushrooms. Add the egg and season. Stir well, cover with cling film and keep in the fridge.
- Foie gras: Season the foie gras, fry it quickly without cooking it in a very hot non-stick pan, cool immediately. Wrap the cold foie gras individually with strips of smoked duck breast. Wrap everything tightly in cling film and keep in the fridge.
- Assemble the pies: Divide the filling into four equal parts. Place a 20 cm puff pastry disc on a baking sheet. Put a piece of filling in the centre, leaving a 4 cm border. Brown this border with egg yolk. Place a slab of foie gras enclosed in the smoked duck breast in the centre of the filling. Cover with another portion of stuffing. Close the pie with a 24 cm disc, sealing the sides well. With a knife, make a hole in the centre of the hat to let the steam evaporate and facilitate cooking. Brown the whole, decorate with the back of a small knife. Repeat the operation for the second pie and leave to rest for an hour before baking.
- Baking and serving: Preheat the oven to 200°. Put the pies in the oven for 15 minutes and continue baking after turning them for a further 20 minutes.
- Place on plates and serve. They can be served with a salad.
A recipe suggested by our partner blogger @carnetdesaveurs